Let's learn about ચ!
Kids learn best when they are having fun. I have found that my toddler is most excited to learn Gujarati when I associate the letters with fun activities or stories. That’s why each day we feature a Gujarati letter of the day, where we share activities and stories that are based on that letter. Today’s letter is ચ.
First up is a craft where we learn how to make a ચ for Chakali (bird).
1. Check out this link for an easy origami bird that you and your kid can make together!
2. Alternatively, if origami isn’t your thing, you can go on a scavenger hunt in your backyard for birds (or signs of birds). Can you find a bird’s nest, a bird’s feather, or even a bird?
Next up, it’s time to exercise our body (and minds). There are lots of household items that start with ચ. Have your kid find each of these items while practicing saying ચ.
1. ચ for Chashmaa (glasses, ચશ્માં)
2. ચ for Chaavi (keys, ચાવી)
3. ચ for Chaadar (sheets, ચાદર)
4. ચ for Chopari (books, ચોપરી)
5. ચ for Choras Vastu (square things, ચોરસ વસ્તુ)
6. ચ for Chamakti Vastu (shiny things, ચમકતી વસ્તુ)
7. ચ for Chaandlo (tilak, ચાંદલો)
8. ચ for Chamchi (spoon, ચમચી)
9. ચ for Champal (sandals, ચંપલ)
10. ચ for Chaanda Mama (moon, ચંદ્ર)
Finally, let’s stop running around and start running our mouths instead! My kid likes to sing, so in honor of the letter ચ we sang this classic Indian nursery rhyme to help her practice saying ચ.
1. Chaki Ben (ચકી બેન)
Chaki ben, Chaki ben
Maari saathe ramava
Aavasho ke nahi,
Aavasho ke nahi
** If you aren’t a great singer, then luckily there are lots of YouTube videos to help you out!
Help the letter ચ come to life through the story of the Chandra (moon) and Lord Ram. Check out this story (and more) under the “Gujarati stories” tab on our website.
While learning letters is super important, learning character is even more important. So why not do both simultaneously? Associating letters with characters helps pique my kid’s interest in great historical figures while also allowing her to practice saying the letter out loud. Here are a few of my favorite characters that start with ચ.
ચ for Chanakya
ચ for Chandragupta Maurya
#indianmom #gujarati #education #homeschooling #kids #alphabet